Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Kubricks vs. Minimates #2


Back in November I fired the first salvo in what I hoped would become recurring matchups between Minimates and other toys. I reviewed the Kubrick Juggernaught and gave him props for looking cool. I didn’t own one yet so I based my initial review on the pictures from the TNI website.

My recent trip to San Francisco gave me the opportunity to buy a Juggernaught Kubrick. Now I could really put him to the test and continue the contest between Minimates and Kubricks!

Articulation - As you can see from the top picture, I had a problem with my new Kubrick immediately. Never having owned one before I assumed they were as articulated and movable as my beloved Minimates. Oops! I broke the arm off just minutes after leaving the store. I tried to lift his arm out so it would be parallel to the ground like a wing. Hmmm … score one for Minimate Juggernaught! Minimates can pose in so many more creative positions than Kubricks.

Custom Potential – The Kubrick Juggernaught doesn’t offer the custom potential that I had originally hoped for. The Kubrick helmet looks funny on a regular Minimate, and it is too small to fit a LOTR sized Minimate head. I will still explore other options for turning the Kubrick Juggernaught into a custom Minimate, but my hopes have dimmed for a truly easy custom.

Coolness – I still like the Kubrick Juggernaught despite the letdowns of an easily broken arm and reduced custom potential. He just looks cool. Way better then any other Kubricks I’ve seen.

Conclusion – While the Kubrick Juggernaught let me down in many areas, I still feel he was worth the $6.95 I paid for him. He'll look nice around my Minimates. But the real winner is the Minimate Juggernaught, who not only offers a lot of custom potential in his own right, but also can be posed in thousands of more positions than a chunky Kubrick. And more importantly - his arms don’t break as easily!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home