Saturday, February 11, 2006

A Wealth of Information

As you can see from the images below, a wealth of information has been released about new and upcoming minimates. The biggest shock concerns the plans for the newest release of Marvel Minimates. Earlier this morning, the website Figures.com release a gallery of new Art Asylum products which have debuted at the United States Toy Fair in New York. The US Toy Fair is an annual trade show in which companies advertise products and the big retailers decide which toy lines they want to release over the course of the coming year. Along with the retailers avid toy collectors await announcements for news about their favorite line. And as one of those collectors, Minimate Headquarters has been eagerly awaiting news about Art Asylum and Diamond Select Toys line of Minimates.

As I mentioned, Figures.com released a gallery of upcoming Marvel Minimates this morning. The shock comes because it appears hours later the gallery was pulled from their website. What happened? And where are the images? The second question is easier to answer than the first.

I happened to view each image when they were released, so each image was saved into my temporary internet memory. I share those images with you below. (Don't want to keep you in suspense). The first question, "Why were the images pulled?" remains a mystery, but if I get an official answer, I will share it.

Ok, now on to the wealth of info from the photos. By the way, CLICK ON THE PHOTO to zoom. It helps with the analysis.

1. These appear to be grouped into 4 packs hinted at in the latest issue of Toy Fair (#103).

2. Marvel Knights = New ink-splotched Daredevil, new suit Ghost Rider, and the previously release Blade and Punisher.

3. New Avengers = Previously released SpiderWoman, Spiderman with a messed up face, a brand new Sentry, and a new suit Captain America.

4. Astonishing X-Men = Black leather suited Cyclops, tiger stripped Wolverine without mask, long haired Emma Frost, Colossus without the big boots, a new Kitty Pride, and possibly a new Professor X.

Yes, I'll say it again, a new Professor X. If you examine the picture below with Kitty Pride, you will notice a black clad figure in the front. You may assume it is Cyclops. But examine the black leather Cyclops again. See the yellow wrist bands. Those do not appear on the image with Kitty Pride. And the face looks weird. The image isn't good but I'm betting this is a new character. And another safe bet could be a black clad Cyclops with Red Glasses.

5. Multiple 4 Packs. Look at the boxes behind the boxes of New Avengers and Astonishing X-Men. One shows a glimpse of a long haired Sentry. Several versions? I'm going to say yes.

6. Ulitimate Colossus. A big giant Ultimate Colossus is illustrated on the display background. A hint that we may still see the big guy? I'm going to say next wave.

7. The boxes are huge. Why such a big box? The previous four packs were half the size. I'm going to say that something else will be added to the box. I doubt a DVD, but a reprinted comic book seems to be a good guess. Marvel did this with the Marvel Legends line.

8. Blind packaging? I'm willing to bet DST is willing to experiment with them. Why? A good reason would be to get previously released characters back out into the market. New collectors would be frustrated with not being able to get their hands on a Nightcrawler for instance. If they re-released Nightcrawler at a 1 to 500 ratio, it would keep him rare but attainable. I personally don't mind the re-release of rares or variants. I think people should be able to get their hands on their favorite character. Spread the Minimate love I say!

9. The Maximate resin statues are being listed with a drop in price (not pictured). The images are listing the Maximates at being priced around $42.50 retail. Hmmm.... Starting to talk my language. Package it with a rare 2" minimate and I'll buy them.

10. New parts? Sadly, it appears all parts are re-used. Daredevil seems to be the cheapest re-use. They took some extra red Daredevils and threw some ink on him. Wow. That is a really bad piece. The only one I don't like. Looks like he fell face first into a puddle of oil.

Ok, I think I've blabbed enough. Join the conversation here.

2 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

8. Blind packaging? . . . If they re-released Nightcrawler at a 1 to 500 ratio, it would keep him rare but attainable.

----

WHOA! 1:500 ratio - ever collect Kubricks or Be@rbricks? The 1:48, 1:96; and 1:192 ratio 'bricks can go for upwards of $50-500 each on ebay depending on the rarity. I'm sure you were making that number up just for example but if you're looking to help collectors who could never get their hands on someone like Nightcrawler, recommend 1:24 or so! ;)

Nice site - I was directed here by Kirby!

Todd

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger JattaPake said...

Thanks for the comment Todd! I appreciate the feedback.

I am an amateur collector so I defer to your knowledge. You are correct, my 1 to 500 was a guess. If blind package with rares become a reality, I will plead for a good ratio like 1:24.

Actually, for Nightcrawler I would ask 1:5 because he is so popular. I'm not big on keeping popular characters rare. Spread the love I say!

Thanks again Todd for the feedback. If you ever have more comments, feel free. Minimate Headquarters is listening!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home